Sunday 16 October 2016

08/10/16 - Avalon - Match Lake

Weight - 7lb 3oz
Catch - 98 Roach, Rudd, Skimmer & Perch.
Weather - Cloudy
Match - Silverfish League - rd 2 - 18th out of 19

Firstly apologies for the lateness of this blog, however I wasn't feeling well at the beginning of the week and a busy week meant I didn't have much spare time.

After the first round I was lying 4th in the league which is based on total weight and was looking forward to catching a some skimmers, ideally from an end peg.

Peg 37 put me on the same peg as the last round, with Nige Sanders on my left and Eric Fouracre on my right. The plan of attack was to focus on groundbait similar to the first round. 2 balls of groundbait with caster was deposited at 6m, 5 balls at 13m and finally a ball of groundbait with micros at 14.5m at an angle.

Starting on my top kit the intention was to spend 30mins catching shallow on caster, however I ended up spending an hour catching nearly 60 fish before it started slowing. Up to now most people had struggled so I was quite pleased with my start, but the skimmers had started to show around me.

Unfortunately they didn't show for me, I struggled all match focusing on catching those elusive skimmers only catching 1 skimmer of about 1lb, although I did manage 3 carp fishing, losing a further 3.

My margins only produced a few roach on either caster or worm and I was going no where fast. Starting new swims didn't help either and I left feeling a little frustrated and wandering what to do next.

A further 30mins on my top kit +1 produced another run of small roach, but it was too little too late and felt I needed to catch skimmers.

In hindsight I became side tracked by those around me who were catching skimmers, when I should have stuck with catching shallow, because I am pretty certain I could have doubled my weight, clinched the section by default and maintained a top 4 position in the league.

All in all a very disappointing day and I've dropped down to about 8th in the league. I really need to make amends in the next round in a fortnights time.

1. 22- 4 - Vic Bush - p34
2. 19- 1 - Chris Fox - p9
3. 17-12 - Eric Fourarce - p36
4. 17- 8 - Glynn Wickham - p7
5. 16- 0 - Tom Mangnall - p16
6. 15-12 - Ray Wickham - p12




No comments: