Monday 26 September 2016

24/09/16 - Viaduct - Lodge

Weight - 82lb 4oz
Catch - 10 Carp, 5 Roach, 4 Skimmers, 3 Hybrids, 1 Perch
Weather - Bright & breezy
Match - Open - 25th out of 48 anglers, 7th out of 12 - lake

With 48 anglers booked in we were spread over Campbell, Cary and Lodge. With the All Winners final coming up next weekend and having not fished here for a few weeks I wanted  to get back in touch with the venue, particularly now the weather is starting to cool. A draw on Campbell would have been ideal since I haven't been on there since May as I keep drawing Cary instead. Well at least I wasn't on Cary, but p53 on Lodge wasn't great. General consensus was it hasn't been fishing well and looking at past results 70-75lb appeared to be the average weight.

As I was plumbing up the margins were less than 1ft in places and about 2.5ft all over.

Starting on 8mm meat, toss potting a couple of bits of meat and a few 6s by the left hand edge of the tree I soon had my first carp, but in the main the meat was getting attacked by small silvers. Over the next couple of hours, by pinging a few pellets at 14m towards the posts and down the left hand bank I picked up a few carp and quite happy with my progress, although I was no where near Roy Worth on 71 who had thrown away his lead rod and was catching down his right hand margin under the brambles. As for everyone else it was still up for grabs.

So far I had left fishing tight to the far bank alone, leaving a safe zone for the carp to back off to target later. In theory it was a good idea, the problem became the wind switched around a little and the fish I could see moving had disappeared.

Fortunately I had been feeding meat by the right hand edge of the trees, which produced a couple of carp, a few skimmers and a decent hybrid, but it was hard going.

With 2.5hrs left to go 8 pots of groundbait went in down the right hand margin where I found a flat spot about 18ins deep. I would like to say I went on to empty it, instead I had an incredibly frustrating end to the match, hooking 10 carp and only landing 2, either on double worm or bunches of maggot. I tried cutting back on the amount of feed, however the problem became I needed to feed to pull in the carp, but if I cut back I would get pestered by silvers. In hindsight I might of been better off using corn or meat.

I kept pinging pellet to my left, but the fish seemed to have vacated the corner and my meat line was mostly full of silvers, so I was reliant on the margins to produce the goods. Although I had a decent weight for the peg  compared to recent results, I still felt I got it wrong, but will be fishing Thursdays costcutter to hopefully make good on my mistakes.

1. Jon Mills - 300lb - peg 125
2. Craig Edmunds - 241lb 12oz - peg 129
...
3. Mark Wynne - 236lb 7oz - peg 80
4. Roy Worth - 218lb 4oz - peg 71
5. Sam Powell - 217lb 9oz - peg 116
6. Dan Squires - 177lb 9oz - peg 130


Silvers
1. Steve Jackson - 65lb - peg 70
2. Paddy Curry - 45lb 3oz - peg 123
3. Nigel Bartlett - 44lb 13oz - peg 97
4. James Rock - 34lb 15oz - peg 100
5. Nigel Easton - 32lb 3oz - peg 78

No comments: