Tuesday 9 September 2014

07/09/14 - Trinity Waters - Woodland

Weight - 16lb 10oz (3lb 8oz - silvers)
Catch - 3 Carp, 4 Skimmers, 2 Roach
Weather - Warm & sunny - no wind
Match - Avon Angling Open - 12th out of 21

This wont be a particularly long blog simply because for most it was a real struggle to catch. With 21 fishing, we were all expecting a decent days sport and when I arrived at peg 26, there was plenty of fish moving around. However there was an algae bloom which when combined with flat conditions may have contributed towards the poor fishing.
 
Since there were a number fish showing themselves, I started the match at 14.5m fishing shallow, feeding 8s with a banded 8mm pellet. I tried a conventional shallow rig, a long line rig and a crystal pellet waggler throughout the match, but only had one roach and a single carp.
 
A spare peg to my left, afforded me a bit of space, so I cupped in soften 4s, 14m at an angle. This produced a carp, plus skimmers, but again very slow going. The 5m line was also a bust, with only 1 carp on meat 15mins from the end.
 
This just leaves the margins. From the start I fed the right margin with 4 & 6mm pellet, but other than small fish nipping at the bait didn’t produce anything. I had left the left hand margin until the last 2.5hrs, feeding 4 balls of groundbait with a small amount of hemp, pellet & meat mixed in. I tried, worm, meat and bunches maggot on the hook, but again could only get bites from small fish. However what was noticeable was the fish moved straight onto the groundbait and where gone again within a few minutes, so I tried fishing straight after feeding, this produced a few wobbles on the float, but no proper bites until 10 seconds from the end on a bunch of maggots. Knowing how badly the venue had fished, I hoped this fish would steal the section for me. It felt like a 10lber, i.e.it was just wallowing using its weight to pull back, but after a couple minutes on the top kit, the hook pulled – gutted! I only needed 8lb to steal the section, which meant no pick up today.
 
Speaking to a number of people after the match the same story kept repeating. Loads of fish showing themselves, but they wouldn’t open their mouths.
 
1st 65- 0 – Dick Bull – p9
2nd 38- 8 – Rich Heatley – p14
3rd 38- 1 – Lee Werrett – p3
4th 37-12 – Adrian Jefferies – p2
5th 28- 1 – Tom Mangnall – p19
6th 27- 7 – Tony Rixon – p6
 
Silvers
1st 14- 1 – Gordon Cannings – p24
2nd 13- 5 – John Bradford – p23
3rd 10- 6 – Nigel Bartlett – p31

No comments: