Sunday 18 May 2014

17/05/14 - Viaduct - Cary

Weight - 191lb 3oz (13lb 1oz - silvers)
Catch - 17 Carp, 7 Skimmers, 1 Tench, 1 Perch
Weather - Warm & sunny, becoming cloudy later
Match - MFS - 4th out of 31, 2nd - section

When this 2 dayer was organised accommodation was also arranged for those who wanted it and it sounded like a good idea, so a room was booked. Originally it was going to be in Somerton, but ended up at Cannards Well in Shepton. Now many of us in Bristol pass this B&B/Pub on the way to Viaduct, which also offers breakfasts as well. My suggestion – keep going, its really shabby accommodation, which offered up a tasteless carvery. Breakfast was better, but it really was rubbish. However, it saved an hour long journey home and it was an enjoyable evening at the bar.
 
Back at the draw it was my turn for Cary, which fished a little patchy yesterday, with the Campbell bank fishing the best and the diagonal bank being the worst. I was a little disappointed to draw p94, particularly when I knew Pete Bailey would be in my section on p86, and then Alex Murray rocked up on p85. The good news, however there were a few fish moving around ready for an 8mm pellet to be dropped in front of them.
 
For company I had Barry Richards again opposite on p90 and Calcum Craig next to me on p96. I had a quick chat with Roland Lucas who caught 110lb -yesterday from the peg and I was hopeful of catching a few.
 
Because I wasn’t sure how to catch I set up a lot of kit, including 2 wagglers (full depth & shallow), lead rod, margin rig, pellet rig, paste rig and finally a long line dobbing rig.
 
Since there were a few cruisers out and about, I went straight out and caught one immediately. After 2hrs I had 9 and close to 100lb in the net. As expected the fishing got more difficult, but so far was holding my own against 85 & 86.
 
The middle part of the match was quiet. I had been feeding 6s at 13m and caught a few skimmers on 8mm pellet, but no carp, although I managed a few cruisers whenever they drifted close enough. I had also been feeding 8s towards the end bank from the start, which did produce a small carp on meat/lead. At the half way point I also started potting in groundbait down the right hand margin, hopeful of a few carp late on, disappointingly this only produced a few silvers.
 
My 5m line was now fizzing and 10mins of trying caught a decent carp, but was getting loads of little knocks and a switch to the pellet rig confirmed my suspicion. Skimmers, were the culprits and that carp was the only one I had.
 
Trying the waggler produced 2 carp on the full depth rig, plus the odd mugged fish, but they were difficult to spot since it had clouded over a little. With 10mins to go, some scum had drifted into the corner and a few carp were slurping, so swung in the shallow rig and hooked one, but as I was pulling it out of the corner the elastic snap which was annoying. I suspect the elastic had grated on the side puller and the sooner I get the freenze side puller the better! I wasn’t happy.

By the end of the match, I thought I had about 180lb, but knew Pete had taken the section, including some full depth waggler caught carp, and then he made his margin work, something I really need to get sorted. Come the weigh in, it transpired that last carp proved expensive, since it would have put me definitely 3rd, maybe 2nd overall. Oh hum.
 

Despite the late disappointment, I was pleased with the result and had my best Viaduct weight.
 
1st 283-11 – Pete Bailey – p86
2nd 199- 4 – Roy Worth – p81
3rd 192- 0 – Fred Roberts – p125
4th 191- 3 – Ken Rayner – p94
5th 181- 0 – Neil Morgan – p118
6th 167- 5 – Mark Poppleton  - p112
 
Silvers
1st 73- 1 – Martin Fisher – p123
2nd 40- 0 – Dan White – p97
3rd 34- 0 – Calum Craig – p96

No comments: