Monday 28 April 2014

26/04/14 - Fishponds

Weight - 220lb 11oz
Catch - 33 Carp
Weather - Cool & breezy
Match - Club - 2nd out of 8

Today was the first of my clubs 5hr summer afternoon/evening matches. Following all the rain & flooding earlier in the year access to the lake resembled a bog, which made pushing a trolley interesting - I made 2 trips on the way back.
 
With only 8 in attendance it at least meant we would be well spread, so I wasn’t fussed were I drew. Peg 3 was down the arm of the lake and the wind was funnelling down towards peg 1 were Chris Davidge was sat. Normally I would look to fish at the bottom of the shelf, but with the wind and likely tow, presentation was going to be difficult. I did bring a tip rod, but being an evening match decided to concentrate on fishing the 2nd shelf just off the margins and the tip rod never got used.
 
Plumbing up revealed the right margin was 4ft deep, whilst the left was closer to 5ft. Both margins got a half pot of 8s, 6s and couple of big chucks of meat. Starting down the right side, simply because I bumped a fish whilst plumbing up, I had 9 carp all on meat by the end of the first hour.
 
A switch to hair rigged 10mm JPZ pellet, following a series of missed bites on meat and I added another 8 during the 2nd hour. So far all the fish had come from the right side, but nothing so far from the left. In fact I only caught 4 or 5 fish from the left, with the majority coming from the right side.
 
The final hour proved to be really slow with only 4 fish, but my quick start meant a comfortable win and my first ton of 2014.
 
1st - 220-11 - Ken Rayner - p3
2nd - 169- 3 - Andy Bradley - p16
3rd - 155-15 - Chris Davige - p1
4th - 106- 1 - Nick Jordell - p11

No comments: