Monday 28 October 2013

26/10/13 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 51lb 14oz
Catch - 14 Carp, 6 Roach, 5 Skimmers, 5 Perch 
Weather - Cloudy and windy
Match - Open - 4th out of 10

10 for todays match and we were on Match Lake. There was a few unfamiliar faces, plus one I recognised from Jamie Riches blog, but never met, Martin Heard. I introduced myself and he was relieved that I recognised him from the blog rather than anywhere else!

Peg 13 was my home for the day, which used to be one of my favourite pegs, but it hasn’t been great so far this year and the smaller stamp of carp seem to have taken up residency. For company Keith Fielder was opposite on p11 and Dave Wescott on p15.

There was a few fish showing themselves along the end bank, so hopeful of a few a fish. I also hoped to be sheltered from the worse of the forecast strong winds, however it was blowing directly from behind through the gap in the trees, which was a bit drafty on the back of my neck.

On the all in pellet (4s & micros) was feed at 6m in front and at angle to my right, 4s along the end bank and 14m towards the island. Starting down the end bank, toss potting 4s with either a 4 or 6mm expander I had a 3 carp after 45mins, but it was slowing going. A lot of rain fell overnight and wondered whether that was having effect, as the fish weren’t really feeding and soon dropped back into p12.

My 5m line only produced a couple of skimmers and a small carp, whilst my long line only produced a skimmer. So I was going nowhere fast. I had started to feed caster and corn by the p14 pallet, which produced a couple perch on double caster, but nothing on corn.

By the half way point , there was a number of carp moving by the island. Initially I had decided not to fish here since its 17m away, but felt I had no choice, because I couldn’t catch anywhere else and the wind was manageable. Plus, Rod on p17 and Dave on p15 where both catching from the island. I managed 7 either on 4 & 6mm expander, before they backed off again.

Another look on the long line, resulted in a carp which I lost at the net as the hook pulled. This was 2nd lose at the net and hoped it wouldn’t prove costly.

I kept the caster and corn going in down by the p14 pallet and spotted a swirl, so went in with corn. Not a bite. Double caster produced another perch, which was a bit frustrating. However, I kept feeding catching 2 carp on double caster, losing a 3rd 5mins from the end, when my pole was jolted by the wind.

Come the weigh in, it became obvious any one of the lost 3 fish  would have put me in the frame, but it wasn’t to be today.

1st 106- 0 – Martin Heard – p7
2nd 78- 3 – Rod Wootton – p17
3rd 52-15 – Eric Fouracre – p1
4th 51-14 – Ken Rayner – p13
5th 40- 0 – Dave Wescott – p15
6th 39- 6 – Ray White – p19

Silvers
1st 17- 8 – Ray Witcombe – p21
2nd 16- 3 – Eric Fouracre – p1

No comments: