Sunday 4 March 2012

03/03/12 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight – 37lb 14oz (17lb 14oz – silvers)
Catch – 13 Perch, 5 Carp, 3 F1, 3 Skimmers, 3 Roach, 1 Tench, 1 Rudd
Weather – Mostly sunny, increasingly windy.
Water Temp – 11.6c – 11.9c
Match – Open – 2nd out of 9 overall

Friday I visited Tony’s shop to get my bait, taking Sapphire with me, unfortunately she got a little excited seeing loads of people in the shop and promptly weed. Don’t think Tony was too impressed – sorry!

Back to the match and the weather forecast suggested there could be showers and the wind would be increasing in strength, so I fancied a draw between 15 and 19. I had also forgotten my cap and sunglasses, so I also wanted the sun behind me.

Finding peg 1 in my hand was disappointing. Not only would the sun be in my face all day, plus it can be quite exposed if the wind gets up. When I drew here 3 months ago there wasn’t many decent fish around, but recent results suggested the peg might be finding some form.

I had Mike West opposite on peg 24 and as we were setting up there was a few showing themselves, although I wasn’t sure they were carp. With 5mins before the all-in a fish topped over by the island, so as soon as the all-in was called I went straight over to the island with corn after feeding caster at 14m down the left hand margin, micros & 4mms at 14.5m 4m off the left hand margin and the bottom of the shelf from the island.

10mins later I had an F1, followed by another again on corn 10mins later, but other than a couple of knocks no further fish and before I knew it 40mins had already gone. Other than Jim Jenner on p21 there didn’t appear to be too much showing. A look over the deep water swims only produced a couple knocks, probably from small roach.

With over an hour gone I still only had 2 F1s in the net and really needed to start catching, so time to try the left hand margin with double caster, toss potting caster every put in. For the next 90mins or so I was catching decent perch, plus a small carp, before bites tailed off.

In the meantime I had kept my swims topped up. At the bottom of the island shelf I had started to feed 4mms by catapult, as well as micros and 4mms by the tree to my right. The rest of the match was a case of chopping and changing, with the bottom of the island shelf proving to be the most productive on 4mm expander. There was certainly plenty of carp cruising around, but they were just not interested. I managed 1 tight to the island on pellet and even tried fishing shallow away from the island, but nothing.

So far my tree swim had failed to produce, but with 10mins to go none of my swims were producing, so time to try again. As I was moaning to Mike about the fact I couldn’t believe I had caught here, the float dipped and a large skimmer was netted. On the all out the float dipped again and a tench was the result. So an extra 3-4lb which as it turned out to be vital for a pick up.

As I was packing up I couldn’t help thinking I should have down better, but during the weigh in it became obvious the carp didn’t feed in any numbers. In fact I had the most, but my 5 carp only weighed 20lb, whilst Dave Wescotts had 4 for 24lb which proved decisive.

Fortunately whilst the wind picked up, it was coming from the SW which meant I was largely sheltered by the island.

1st 39-10 – Dave Wescott – p5
2nd 37-14 – Ken Rayner – p1
3rd 36- 5 – Nigel Bartlett – p19
4th 27-14 – Jim Jenner – p21
5th 22-11 – Tom Magnoll – p13
6th 21- 5 – Mike Duckett – p15

Silvers
1st 20-15 – Nigel Bartlett
2nd 18- 7 – Tom Magnoll
3rd 17-14 – Ken Rayner

No comments: