Sunday 15 May 2011

14/05/11 - Fishponds

Weight – 149lb 8oz
Catch – 19 Carp, 1 Bream
Weather – Cool northerly wind. Mostly sunny
Match – Club – 1st (out of 12)

Today was the first of a series of Saturday afternoon/evening matches during the summer months, fished between 2.30 – 7.30, so hopefully the best part of the day.

I was happy with peg 22, although the wind was blowing straight into my face, but at least I had some ripple. Tactics for the day was pole and paste at 8m and the pellet waggler, although I wasn’t convinced I would catch on the waggler due to the cool weather. And thats how it turned out. Having fed the long line for 2hrs but never had a touch on the waggler. I suspect, had I set up a half depth rig I may have caught, but I didn’t so I won’t know.

Main focus was the 8m line at an angle to my left, plus the LH margin. Marcus was on peg 23 so I discounted the RH margin.

In the first hour I had 5 fish, but also lost 5 due to foul hooking or the fish being lightly hooked. It was obvious the fish weren’t really feeding and I’ve never lost so many fish here. It was quite frustrating. Fortunately I wasn’t the only 1 suffering.

As the match progressed Graham Millard on p13 and particularly Roger Putterill on peg 1 were catching. Going into the final hour I thought Roger was ahead, but a good last hour meant it would be close. In fact I was surprised Roger only weighed 119lb.

1st – 149-8 – Ken Rayner – p22
2nd – 119- 0 – Roger Putterill – p1
3rd – 97- 0 – Graham Millard – p13
4th – 91- 0 – Eddie Long – p6

No comments: