Friday 7 January 2011

06/01/11 - R.Frome - Snuff Mills

Weight – 3lb 9oz
Catch – 2 Brown Trout, 1 Chub.
Weather – Cloudy, no wind, felt colder later

Snuff Mills wasn’t my intended choice? I had driven to Ivy House to have a practice for my clubs re-arranged Christmas match, but on arrival all lakes were closed and still covered in ice. Closer inspection revealed the water was like tap water, very clear. That doesn’t bode well for Sunday.

With any other decent commercial at least 1-1½hr away, I thought about the Bristol Avon, but didn’t have the right kit or bait with me. So in the end thought of Snuff Mills, it was 10mins from home and it used to be full of good quality roach. It was probably 10 years since I last fished here and as well as the roach, there were skimmers, plus loads of Gudgeon and minnows, I even had a small carp.

Although the venue is close to home, I have been put off fishing here because it is in a public park which is popular with dog walkers and the many screaming kids, but being a week day there shouldn’t be that many people around. My favourite spot was 10mins from the car park, above the weir, where the river is 18m wide and 6 foot deep.

With no river based groundbait with me, feed was caster at 13/14m and pinkie/maggot at 6m. Due to limited time, decided on 1 rig. A 4x14 jolly, with .07 bottom and a 22 B520.

Although the river looked perfect, I didn’t get my 1st bite until after 1hr 45mins. I was at the point of going home, but a 2½lb chub was very welcome. It was also a concern, because it had quite a bit of caster down its throat and I wasn’t exactly feeding heavily, 4-6 casters every 5mins.

The 6m line used to be guaranteed for minnows & Gudgeon, but other than a ½lb trout, 30mins later was the only bite I had from here. Over the next hour, I hooked another decent fish, which broke me close to the net. This prompted a switch to .08 bottom, then the hooked pulled out of what I think was another trout, before I landed another trout. But no roach! Very, very surprised, don’t know why, I can only assume cormorants have had their fill. I saw 6 of them sitting in a tree a few weeks ago around Swineford.

2 comments:

Bristol Psv said...

Walked my dogs (and screaming kids) through there back in the summer and the section above the footbridge was full of shoals of big chub, bream and roach. Many years ago I used to fish with some friends in the pegs above the weir on the opposite bank to the footpath during the evening and into dark. We used to catch some huge roach, chub and roach/chub hybrids and like you, also had a small carp although I have seen some proper lumps swimming around under the bushes.

Fishingken said...

LOL re the screaming kids.

Years ago I caught some cracking roach. Perhaps I caught the river on a bad day.