Monday 14 December 2009

13/12/09 - Plantations - Main Lake

Weight – 25lb 5oz
Catch – 20 Roach, 6 Skimmers, 5 Carp
Weather – Cold, mostly sunny, northerly breeze.
Water Temp – 7c > 7c


After our trip a few weeks ago Rich wanted me to take him fishing again. This time I decided on the main lake at Plantations, but the weather had certainly become a lot colder, which meant a difficult day ahead.

Rich sat on peg 7, whilst I was on 8. I started on the straight lead & double corn, cast towards the island, which resulted in 2 carp in the 1st 45mins. I tried the waggler over the tip line, but except for a couple liners I didn’t catch.

I also set up 2 pole lines, 13m at 11o’clock feeding caster and 14.m at 1o’clock feeding micros dusted with green swim stim. The LH swim produced small roach, whilst the RH produced 4 skimmers on 4mm pellet, before 2 carp put in an appearance completely buggering up the swim. A couple of small skimmers followed, but it was a struggle. In the end I probably overfed the swim trying to kick start it again.

Had I stayed on the tip I would probably doubled my weight, but it isn’t my favourite method, so I preserved with the waggler and the pellet swim longer than normal.

As for Rich, although I helped him set up he struggled for most of the day, landing a carp and a skimmer late in the day. However it made me appreciate how far I have come as angler and the kit I use. Unfortunately for Rich he lost 2 carp under his rod tip, because his rod £10 rod off e-bay didn’t have a parabolic action, so when the fish made a final lunge the rod blank locked up resulting in a hook pull. To be fair him whilst disappointed to lose the fish, he was happy to learn and he did pick up a few more tips.

One tip I learnt myself, was don’t have a hot curry the night before you go fishing! Having been to the loo when I woke up, I found myself needing to go again when I got to Plantations. I thought I could wait for the café to open at 10am, but no. A quick 5min trip to Bullocks Farm was required, where their toilet is open 24hrs. Is that why they are called conveniences?

No comments: