Friday 9 October 2009

08/10/09 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight – 79lb 14oz
Catch – 18 Carp, 3 Bream, 1 Perch, 1 Tench.
Weather –Sunny & Calm
Water Temp– 13.5c > 13.5c

As mentioned in my previous blog entry, I wasn’t entirely happy with Saturday’s result, because I couldn’t catch carp on pellet. So I managed a day off work to try and sort my rigs & feeding.

Unfortunately I chose a challenging day. Yesterday had turned cold, wet & windy, whilst today had seen a cold start with bright flat conditions, plus the water temperature had dropped by 1.5c.

I settled on peg 19, simply because I’ve never drawn it in a match. With only pellet (micro & 4mm pellet) and corn I wanted to concentrate on the carp, so no caster and no temptation to get distracted by silvers if it all goes pear shaped.

Decided to feed 2 swims at the bottom of the far shelf, feeding a cup of micros & 4mm, then catapulting 4mm over the top on a regular basis in the left hand swim. In the right hand swim I intended to feed more conservatively mostly via a tosspot with the addition of corn.

The session got off to a really slow start, with a small carp tight to the island, but despite plenty of liners, I decided to disregard this area, because I could see me wasting too time chasing fish and with autumn coming it wasn’t a tactic that would feature.

As for the 2 main swims, I initially started on expander and the right hand swim did produce 3 to 4lb carp, plus a couple of skimmers, but despite plenty of liners the fish weren’t getting their heads down. As for the left swim, I thought I might have overcooked it, because I caught very little.

After about 3 hours I had about 20lb and thought it was going to be 1 of those days, so started feeding my RH margin. It wasn’t long before I saw a few swirls and caught my best fish on double expander.

Eventually bubbles started blowing in my left hand swim, but the expander and corn wasn’t really working, so I changed to my other rig that I hadn’t used so far. I rarely fish hard pellet here, but it’s hard to ignore the results some of the regulars have on it. So out went my rig with hair rigged 6mm and I caught almost straight away, mostly from the left hand swim that just got stronger, before I probably over did it with the feed. I finished the session with a couple of carp from the margin.

Overall pleased with what I learned and hopefully I will be able to put it into practice on Sunday.

As I was leaving I had a look on Speci Lake were Mike had spent the day putting in new platforms on pegs 25 to 32, which is great, because the island was now 1.5m closer so the 17m section can now stay in the bag!

No comments: