Monday 16 February 2009

14/02/09 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight – 27lb 4oz
Catch – 10 Roach, 7 Perch, 4 Common Carp, 1 Rudd
Weather – Mild! Cloudy and calm.
Water Temp– 5.0c > 5.0c
Match – Open - 3rd overall.



Last weekends snow

After last weekends enforced lay off due to snow, I was looking forward to getting back. Speaking to Mike mid week suggested we could catch a few, because there was some colour in the water. It was also nice to arrive at the venue to see no frost or snow, in fact this was the 1st day in 3 months were I didn’t need to wear my woolly hat!

I drew peg 21, which I had a few weeks ago and it has been fishing poorly over the winter. However unlike the last I drew here, peg 20 wasn’t in so at least I had some space to play with.

Despite the colour the water temperature was only 5c, which was lower than expected, although a fair indication of how cold it has been recently. However, it was a useful indicator this match wasn’t going to be easy.

As it turned out this match turned into a classic case of never giving up until the very end. For much of the match the quality and quantity of my fish frustrated me. Alan Oram on 22 had picked up odd carp, tench and skimmers, so there were there was a few fish feeding. However I couldn’t get anything bigger than 4oz despite rotating rigs & baits. I even struggled to get a bite on .08 & 22 hook and I was beginning to think today’s blog entry was going to be short and not so sweet.

With 90 minutes to go I had 2½lb in the net and decided to go for a walk to see how Mike Duckett was doing on peg 16. As usual he was catching and after 10 minutes I went back to my peg with my head a little clearer. For the last 75 minutes I decided to stick it out with pellet, because the only way I was getting back into this match was with a few carp.. After a few knocks fishing at the bottom of the shelf in front of me, I switched to the bottom of the shelf in peg 20, tosspotting micro pellet.
5 minutes later I landed a 3-4lb carp, next put in I had another. Now I was interested. 3rd put in and I hooked a proper munter which took 10mins to land on .11 bottom, 20 silverfish pellet hook and doubled 6 elastic (the more I use this set up the more impressed I am). With 10 minutes left, 1 more carp and I could be in a chance of framing. Next put in I had another munter, which I landed on the all out.
At the weigh in my 4 carp went 24lb 12oz, plus my silvers meant I was 3rd overall. I nearly caught Mike who weighed 29lb for 2nd and Alan won the match with 34lb.
I just hope the mild weather continues so the water temperature can increase, then we should catch properly.

No comments: