Sunday 18 January 2009

17/01/09 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight – 3lb 12oz
Catch – 10 Roach, 2 Perch, 1 Ide, 1 Tench.
Weather – Mild. Calm to start, becoming increasingly windy & cloudy.
Water Temp– 5.5c > 5.5c
Match – Open – 11th overall.

Today’s match saw 14 of us on Match Lake that has been fishing poorly recently, but hopefully with the ice now gone it would be better. I drew peg 21, which I wasn’t completely happy with, particularly since 20 & 22 were in, so I didn’t have as much room as I would like.

Although it had been mild all week, except for a few slightly frosty nights, the water temperature was lower than I would expect, however a lot of ice would have melted during the week.

It took me an hour before I caught my 1st fish on maggot, but I struggled all match. I simply couldn’t get a run of fish together. Not many carp were caught today and even those that were caught a number were foul hooked. Although I tried for a carp, fishing corn & pellet I didn’t have a proper bite and I could only catch on maggot, using a light rig.

I had a few liners, so there was obviously a few carp in the swim, I even tried fishing mid depth with maggot without success, but they just weren’t feeding. I suspect the carp were just sitting in the swim, which was unsettling the silvers.

Rich on peg 22, came 2nd in the silvers with 13lb, whilst Alan on 20 had 20lb (incl. 3 carp, 2 of which were foul hooked).

Andy France won the match from peg 19 with 29lb.

I haven’t had such a poor run of weights for quite a while. Since the summer, the weather has certainly played its part in the poor fishing, but hopefully as we start to head towards spring things will start to improve.

No comments: