Tuesday 19 August 2008

10/08/08 - Stafford Moor - Tanners


Weight – 39lb 5oz
Catch – 7 Carp
Weather - Mostly bright, but windy.
Water temp – 19.0c > 19.0c
Match – Stafford Maniac Final – 12th overall

The 14 man final and £2000 for the winner. I drew peg 8.

At the draw names were drawn from a hat to decide on the order. I was number 9 and during the draw I had been keeping a mental note of the pegs left. Fortunately peg 13 had gone, but unfortunately the favourite pegs 3 & 36 had already gone, as had my peg from yesterday peg 18, which I fancied another bash at. When it was my turn, pegs 9 & 11 were still in the bag, but alas I had to settle on peg 8, which was a disappointment.

This peg can throw up us some weights, but recent form suggested I could be in for a struggle.
There was a strong wind, blowing right to left and I felt the only way to catch would be on the lead and possibly the pole down the edge. I also set up a pellet waggler in case the wind dropped.

Coming into the final, I felt confident and bizarrely this is largely down to the recent credit crunch. Rather than spending loads on bait and trying to cover all options, I have settled on mostly targeting carp and being more single minded in my approach.

However, law of averages says you going to blow out at some point and my time had arrived in this match.

After an hour I knew I wasn’t winning anything. Pegs 3 & 36 were sacking, peg 9 & 11 were also catching. I tried everything, fishing past the bar, between the island, on top of the bar and in front, but I could only pick odd fish.

Hugely disappointing, because I would have liked to have at least put in a challenge. In the end I don’t think anyone was going to beat Dave Wykes from peg 3, which has been the form peg recently. Simon Jones on peg 36 ran him close and Rory on peg 13 did really well (although I would never admit it to his face – I never hear the end it).

At the draw, as soon as Dave drew peg 3, I felt no one would beat him. The weather conditions and the peg perfectly suited his style of fishing.

No comments: